Disclosure: Some links below are affiliate links, meaning if you click on them and make a purchase I will earn a commission.
As soon as I say sight words, I swear my son goes running. He hates practicing his sight words. I think because it is just plain flash cards and that is boring to him. So how do you make sight words fun? Make a fishing game of course! Check out below on how to make your own fishing game!
Sight Word List
Ruler with holes
Magnet with a hole
How to build the fishing pole:
1. Cut a piece of string ( you can decide which length will be best)
2. Insert one end of the string in one of the holes in the ruler and tie a knot, so it won't slip out
3. Insert the other end of string through the hole in the magnet and tie a knot.
How to Play:
1. Print out the fish templates (print out as many as you need)
2. Cut out the fish and write sight words on each fish. ( here is a list of words)
3. Put a paper clip on each fish
4. Scatter the fish on the table and go fishing!
5. When you catch a fish, read the word. (you can go a step further and write the words as you catch them on a piece of paper)
What games do you play to make sight words fun? Let me know in the comments.
My name is Robin. I am a homeschooling mom of three and I just love to find ways to make learning fun. I am so excited to share my ideas with you. I try to make my ideas as inexpensive as possible. Most of the items I use are things that are around most houses and if you have a printer and ink you are all set. Please feel free to use these ideas in your own learning adventure with your children.